The 1889 property was designed by Stone, Carpenter, and Wilson, prolific architects of buildings such as the Ladd Observatory on Hope Street. A part of the Stimson Avenue Historic District, the property sits on over half an acre of land and features three distinctive, perennial gardens. Elaborate, yet perfectly balanced, the house is expertly crafted from stone, brick, wood, slate, metal, and ornate stained glass.
The house was enlarged by a later owner, Mrs. Grace Reynolds, who redesigned the ballroom in the 1930s, including commissions by muralist Robert Charles Haun. Thousands of original details remain intact, including fine wood carvings, Florentine wallpaper, painted murals, and a birdcage elevator.
Charles Fletcher, the Wool King of the United States, commissioned this home for his second son and family. Joseph E. Fletcher, Mary Manton Hayes, and their three children resided on Stimson avenue until Mary's early passing in 1908.
Charles Fletcher founded the National and Providence Worsted Mills. Many of his factories still stand today, largely utilized as office space, in Providence and Thornton, Rhode Island.
Since 2020, the Fletcher House has been maintained by a mother-daughter team (and their four-legged friend). The house has been restored to reflect its original history while providing modern amenities and comforts for visitors. Renters have access to the ballroom, grand staircase and foyer, four uniquely styled rooms on the parlor floor, and the grounds surrounding the house.